Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fam-Bamily Documented.

Alan Berliner's "Family Album" reminded me of this video I came across on YouTube for a Joanna Newsom song, "Peach Plum Pear" -- which, by the by, is pretty much the loveliest song this side of strawberry shortcakes.
SIDE NOTE: There's a pretty funny story behind this, too. This song does not have an actual, MTV type video, and so this one that I watched was made independantly by some dude/fan. I was going apeshit over it because I loved it so much (the video and the song together), and one night at Call the Office I ran into a freind of my boyfriend's, who had a guest along with him that night. This mystery guest dude was all, "yeah hi I'm an amateur video-maker person. Blah blah blah what music do you like?" So I told him I was mental over this Joanna Newsome song and video and it turned out he was the one who actually made it! Isn't that crazy? I think I made it sound lame.

HERE's THE YOUTUBE LINK: (sorry for yelling)
(seriously though. watch it!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcHjAUhtSrk

(Aww I just watched it again and am totally siked to be posting it.)

Anyway, I asked him how he made the video. This is the part that's like... relative.
Turns out he bought a basket full of ancient home video reels at a yard sale. There were hours and hours of silent footage of picnics and other such olden-days shenanigans that really captivated him. He thought it matched the feeling of this particular song, so he projected the film, running at times forwards and at times backwards, on to his fridge and recorded it for this video.
That just took me eighteen hours.

Also interestingly enough, there's one line in this song and I can't figure out if she says, "makes me bolt like a horse," or if it's "makes me bold like a whore." Hmm.

1 comment:

cali barbara said...

p.s. my favourite part of the video is when the kid is riding a tricycle with a raccoon on her head.